There are many people who have a medical condition called ‘sleep apnea.’ They have trouble falling or staying asleep because mucus and similar gunk accumulates in all the wrong places in their breathing pathways. In the last few decades a new procedure called ‘continuous positive airway pressure’ (CPAP) was developed and improved. CPAP machines are used to treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), and other sleep and breathing disorders.
Pulse oximetry is a noninvasive and painless test that measures your oxygen saturation level, or the oxygen levels in your blood. It is a quick, noninvasive, and completely painless test.
Despite the very positive contribtions CPAP machines make, there are problems.
- CPAP machines can be difficult to use and keep clan.
* CPAP machines can make it difficult to sleep.
* CPAP machines (espeecially older ones) can only be set to a single pressure that remains consistent throughout the night.
* With masks, tubes, and potentially loud noises, CPAP machines can make it more difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position on a nightly basis.
Despite these drawbacks, there are benefits
* For patients that don’t want to leave their therapy completely in the hands of the technicians, nearly all CPAP machines can display the data on the device’s screen.
* Some CPAP machines can make certain adjustments automatically.
* Modern CPAP machines can record and store sleep data, and many report that data in real-time via cloud-based software.
* More advanced CPAP machines can be integrated with cloud-based software to provide your physician with real-time sleep data.
* Auto CPAP machines can also be programmed to standard or fixed pressure CPAP mode, this is beneficial because your treating physician can determine your compliance and AHI (apnea hypopnea index) between the 2 therapy treatments.
Travel does not have to be a problem. A globetrotter can just take the occasional trip for pleasure or business. The new portable CPAP machines can help take away the questions or concerns when you take to the air or the open road. At checkout at Airport Security, CPAP machines can be checked luggage or carry-on items even though not all CPAP machines are the same size. No problem.
Since it’s crucial that CPAP machines are in the cleanliest environment at all times, TSA agents actually advise against plopping a CPAP machine in an X-ray bin that might be unsanitary, especially since the machine will need to come out of its case to be examined properly. (Recent studies have found that airport trays at X-rays are among the dirtiest spots rdinar people encounter, perhaps evn dirtier than bathrooms.)
Is noise an issue? The amount of noise is primarily determined by the motor that the CPAP uses, and thankfully, modern CPAP machines are generally much less noisy than their predecessors.
As you will easily find, keeping the mask clean is a big, almost daily issue. Some people just buy new masks at will. Orthers cannot afford this luxury. So they find cleaning methods, many of whch can be found on this blog. Take a look